inFIRE Conference 2001
Editor: Lian Ruan
The 2001 Annual inFIRE Conference was co-organized by the RJA Group, Inc. and the Illinois Fire Service Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign in May 2001. The conference was held at the downtown office of the RJA Group on May 1st and 3rd in Chicago with a field trip to the Illinois Fire Service Institute and the University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign on May 2nd. The theme "Our New Horizon: Challenges and Solutions" was addressed in a wide range of subject areas in three days. Speakers from inFIRE member libraries, the fire service, a library school, the University of Illinois Library, and fire protection industry discussed knowledge transfer, fire services and the Chicago Fire Department in Illinois, library outreach training programs, changes in the library profession, state and national fire training perspectives, continuing professional development for special librarians, fire incident documentation projects and the Illinois Digital Cultural Heritage Community Project.
Note on Formatting: The Adobe Acrobat Reader® is needed to view the abstracts and papers which are stored in Portable Document Format (.pdf). The Acrobat Reader® runs on many computing platforms, including Windows, Macintosh, LINUX, and OS/2, and may be downloaded from the Adobe web site, along with installation instructions.
Table of Contents
- Knowledge Transfer vs. Training: a New Dynamic in Fire Protection Education, Patrick Johnson, RJA Group, Inc., U.S.A. [Abstract] [Web Version of PowerPoint Presentation] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- Success Stories from the Illinois Fire Service, Dan Williams, Deputy Director, Illinois Office of State Fire Marshal, U.S.A. [Abstract] [Full Text]
- Developing Internet Outreach Training Program for Illinois Firefighters, Public and Community College Libraries, Lian Ruan, Director/Head Librarian, Illinois Fire Service Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. [Abstract] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- How to Stay Fired Up in Times of Change, Sara Tompson, Past President, Special Libraries Association (SLA), Illinois Chapter, Library Director Packer Engineering Inc., U.S.A. [Abstract] [Full Text]
- State and National Fire Training Perspectives - a Vision for the 21st Century, Richard Jaehne, Director, Illinois Fire Service Institute, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. [Abstract] [Web Version of PowerPoint Presentation]
- Approaches to Continuing Professional Development for the Special Librarian in the Internet Age, Linda Smith, Professor, Graduate School of Library and Information Science, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign, U.S.A. [Abstract] [Full Text]
- Illinois Digital Cultural Heritage Community Project Presentation, Nuala A. Bennett, Visiting Special Projects Librarian, Visiting Assistant Professor of Library Administration, Digital Imaging and Media Technology Initiative, University of Illinois at Urbana-Champaign,U.S.A. [Abstract] [PowerPoint Presentation]
- The Chicago Fire Department; the Past, the Present, the Future, James Stedman, Battalion Chief, Chicago Fire Department, U.S.A. [Abstract] [Web Version of PowerPoint Presentation]
- Fire Incident Documentation for the Twenty First Century: A System for Post-Incident Documentation of Building Performance, Scott G. Nacheman, LZA Technology, Building Performance Research Institute, U.S.A. [Abstract] [Full Text]
Go Back to inFIRE home page or inFIRE Conferences
Updated July 14, 2003